Friday, April 6, 2018

NaPo 6: Insomnia

Trying the NaPo challenge today to use line-lengths that feel outside my comfort zone.

Insomnia
Dark
Quiet
Cat asleep
Clock ticking
Thoughts running through my mind on rattly tracks
Wild mine cars picking up and dropping off
What did I say wrong today and where did I leave my socks and is my dress ruined and did everyone notice the holes in my stockings and if I haven't heard about the job does it mean I have no hope and
Upstairs,
Someone stirring.
Pipes rush.
Feet shuffle.
Still awake.
My feet itch like they want to dance
My face twitches.
My hands lace behind my head and I stare at the ceiling and wonder if there are spiders in the wall, or ants, or whatever phantom thing my cat sometimes hears when she bats at a blank spot, and do they come out at night when I close my eyes and is it because I'm a terrible housekeeper and what if everyone finds out that there are things in the walls and
Headlights.
Splashing over my window
Late night visits ending.
I look.
Blinds are down (not that they do any good on my side)
I go over
Raise them
Leaves rustle and wind blows over grass but I can't see the mountains and maybe it's raining and maybe I should have air maybe air would help maybe cold will put me to sleep and I am so tired but my legs are twitching and my heart is skipping and am I going to have a heart attack in my sleep and I wonder if I'm hyperactiveattentiondeficitdisorder or some other thing they've invented since I was a child and
Cat.
Bumping into my ankles.
Nipping at me to get treats.
I'm sleeping now, I say.  Can't you see I'm sleeping?
Another nip.
I ball my fists tight to stop the tingles.
Turn on the light.
Give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment