Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Napo 4: Loneliness

Working off the NaPo prompt, to use concrete imagery for an abstract concept.

Loneliness
The clock ticking at midnight.
Lights on, humming low
but loud in the silence
Cat sleeping
dreaming and twitching her toes

The keyboard is sticky
And a little squeaky as I hit each key
My phone beeps
Squawks
Video game feet kllp-kllp-kllping
down the Hawkins paths
YouTube playing
CocoLegallyBlondeHairJCSCinemaSinsReactionsReviewsPolitics
Whatever
Keep it quiet enough
not to wake the neighbors
But it doesn't matter otherwise

Fast food boxes and drinks
Scattered on the desk
I haven't used the stove for days
(though I actually like to cook)

Will I go to bed soon? 
After the day's poem?

I don't care, and neither does anyone else.

The clock continues ticking
On its way to one.

And two.

The lights hum.

And I finish.

I have a game to return to.

And a sleeping cat.

And maybe, eventually, sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment